Understand the Side Effects of Diabetes
Prolonged or untreated diabetes has serious effects. Elevated glucose levels increase the risk of the following complications:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Heart attack
- Kidney disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), diabetes has grown to epidemic proportions:
- Diabetes is the sixth leading cause of death by disease in this country.
- One out of five people with type 2 diabetes will have a long-term complication.
- The leading cause of blindness, diabetes causes 12,000 to 24,000 people each year to lose their sight.
- More than 65,000 leg and foot amputations each year are the result of diabetes.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of stroke and heart disease.